Two Nutritious Vegetable Casserole Recipes
Here are two amazing vegetable casserole recipes that are nutritious, easy to prepare, and quick to make.
Cheesy Potato Casserole (Makes 8-10 servings)
- 2 ½ tbsp. canola oil,
- 1 cup red bell pepper (diced),
- 1 cup onion (diced),
- 1 bag hash browns (southern-style),
- ½ tsp. salt and ¼ tsp. pepper,
- 1 2/3 cup milk with 2 tbsp. flour added
- 2/3 cup yogurt
- 4 oz. cheddar cheese (reduced fat, finely shredded)
- 1 ½ tbsp. butter (melted) and 3 cups of cornflakes.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a skillet with oil, sauté bell pepper and onion, for 2 minutes. Add hash browns, cover, and cook for 8 minutes. Add pepper and salt. Mix flour and milk. Add this mixture to the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes while stirring. Take the pan off the heat and stir in cheese and yogurt. Put all into baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking oil. Put cornflakes in a bowl, add melted butter, and mix thoroughly. Spread the cornflakes on top of the potato mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for half hour.
Creamed Onion Casserole
- 1 tbsp. butter, and 1 tbsp. olive oil in a skillet
- 6 cups onion (vertically sliced)
- 4 cups leeks (thinly sliced)
- ¾ tsp. salt and 1 tbsp. thyme (chopped and fresh), ½ tsp. pepper, ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 6 tbsp. flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup panko (whole wheat)
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a heated pan, add in oil and butter. Add leeks, onion, and thyme. Cook for 5 minutes while stirring. Add salt, cover and put on medium low. Cook another 15 minutes while stirring. Add wine and boil. Cook another 5 minutes. Mix flour and milk in bowl, add nutmeg and pepper, and bring to a boil. Turn heat down and simmer for 5 minutes. Place mixture in a greased glass baking dish and add panko on top. Spray the top with cooking spray. Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes.